In the ever competitive world of Amazon, finding a niche and staying relevant is extremely difficult. Not only are independent store owners finding it stay competitive, they are up against big-ad spend by the big-wigs.
Trying to outspend your competition isn’t going to work.
Given we can’t outspend our competitor, what are our options, simple, outsmart them.
Given below are top 3 ways to optimize your Shopify store to get higher conversions. The
last tip is the best of all and has done wonders for some of the biggest stores out there.
- Mobile user experience:
Pay special attention to how your store looks and feels on mobile. With 60%-70% of traffic originating from mobile, it is extremely important to pay special attention. While iPhone is the most popular device, pay special attention to these devices:
- iPhone; especially iPhone X, iPhone 8+, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7s. Just test the Safari browser.
- Android: especially Samsung Galaxy devices. 90% of your potential customers use Chrome, so just focus on those.
- Lastly, use BrowserStack to see how the websites loads on these devices. Given a URL, BrowserStack also offers a tile of images showcasing how the page looks on different browsers, this is a super simple way to spot errors quickly.
- Reduce the number of applications installed:
Shopify store has one of the largest collections of applications, each promising a unique feature that is better than sliced bread. Here are some stats:
- Average number of installed apps on Shopify website: 7.3
- Average latency added by each app: 0.32 seconds
Slowness attributed to apps: 7.3 * 0.32 = 2.34 seconds
Now, assuming 50% of apps load in parallel, even then, apps contribute a delay of 1.17 seconds
- Use apps wisely, more importantly, do spring aka app cleaning often.
- Imagine a pandora’s box 🎁 wherein:
- Your website loads under a second.
- Google gives special treatment to your website in its search result.
- Customers ❤️your site because it loads fast.
Don’t out-spend your competition, OUTSMART them!
Too good to be true? This is all possible using AMP, a project open-sourced by Google in 2014, that not only makes sites load lightning fast, an average AMP website sees:
- 20% boost in search rankings!
- 36% increase in conversions 🤑